About Douglas Hoover
Having served over 22 years as an Active-Duty Army Chaplain specializing in Marriage and Family Therapy, I know the challenges of military life and the stressors it has on individuals and relationships. Additionally, as someone with 28 years of marriage and who has raised 6 children, I also know the rigors of married life that challenge us all, whether military or not. My desire is to continue using my education, life experience, and military experience to help others.
I am a lifelong learner. Having received training in numerous marriage counseling programs over many years, I have found what cracks the code to living well with self and others. As such, I specialize in what makes relationships work as well as what often hinders them. This approach includes using Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) which really helps people reconnect by understanding what they are doing and why and experiencing their impact on their loved ones. When childhood or adult trauma impact our well-being, EMDR is often very effective as well. As a Christian minister, my approach to helping others is completely consistent with my faith. Even if you do not share my faith, my approach is effective. I discuss religion only if you desire and if will relate it to your stated goals. I do not have an agenda. I work for you.
I grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania, however most of my adult life has been in North Carolina and Georgia. I have also lived in Costa Rica and Germany well as a few other states here in the US. If I am not at home or in the office, you might find me running or hiking.
Qualifications and Associations
- Certified EFT Supervisor and Therapist – International Centre of Excellence for Emotionally Focused Therapy
- EMDR Certified Therapist – EMDR International Association
- Clinical Fellow and Approved Supervisor – American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist, North Carolina and Georgia
- Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor, North Carolina
- Licensed Professional Counselor, Georgia
- Master of Science in Community Counseling – Columbus State University, Columbus, GA
- Doctor of Ministry – Erskine Theological Seminary, Due West, SC